As a church, our primary means of responding to the devastation brought by Hurricane Harvey is through support of our PCA Disaster Response organization (part of the PCA’s Mission to North America). This agency works with local PCA leaders to help establish volunteer staging sites and determine the best strategy for helping those who are impacted by the storm and flooding. The Redeemer deacons announced last week that a $10,000 donation from our Mercy Ministry fund will go directly to MNA for disaster relief. These funds will be used for assessment, mobilization, relief grants for flooded PCA families and churches, to purchase needed supplies and equipment, and to construct Sheds of Hope (secure storage for families’ possessions while they rebuild).
This month, instead of our usual third-Sunday food offering on September 17, we will be collecting supplies for Hurricane Harvey relief. By partnering with our PCA disaster response agency, we’ll be providing cleaning supplies for those who are recovering from the recent flooding, also known as a Flood Bucket. If you would prefer to support this effort with a monetary contribution, please designate “Deacons Fund” on the memo line of your check or online donation.
FLOOD BUCKET CONTENTS (Please follow these specific instructions!)
Click here for a video on the best way to pack the bucket.
- One 5-gallon bucket with resealable lid
- 5 scouring pads (Remove from packaging. No stainless steel, no Brillo, or SOS pads; no soap built in.)
- 7 sponges (dry only) Remove from packaging. No cellulose sponges due to mold issues.
- 18 cleaning wipes (reusable, non-linen); Handi-wipes type; no terry cleaning towels. Remove from packaging.
- Liquid laundry detergent 50 oz.
- 1 household cleaner 12-16 oz. plastic bottle
- 1 disinfectant dish soap, 16-28 oz. plastic bottle
- 50 clothes pins
- Clothes line (two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.) cotton or plastic
- 5 dust masks
- 2 pair heavy-duty reusable latex gloves
- 1 pair leather palm work gloves; cotton with leather palm or all leather
- 24-bag roll of heavy duty trash bags, 33-45 gal. size. Remove roll from box.
- 1 insect repellant spray, 6-14 oz. plastic bottle with protective cap
- Air freshener, 8 or 9 oz. bottle with protective cap
We will have a table in the courtyard to receive your donations; the children may also bring them forward during the offering in both services. If you have any questions, please contact Deacon David Parker at email@example.com.